My husband doesn’t like goat cheese. Poor me! I know, i know… I shouldn’t complain because I can cook something with goat cheese for myself and give him a substitute.
And sometimes I do that, but it is more like a salad or pasta topped with goat cheese, or this sweet potato and kale mash. I give him bacon or prosciutto and I get to eat all the goat cheese, yay!
But still I don’t like it that he doesn’t like ‘cheesy’ stuff, like goat cheese and blue cheese. Before I got to know him I used goat cheese or blue cheese regularly. So as soon he is out of town for work I buy cheese and eat it for dinner.
Last time when he was away for the week I made this grilled goat cheese sandwich with bacon and dates ánd with a honey thyme mayo. A shorter name for the sandwich would be ‘scrumptious sandwich’.
Maybe I should start a project to get my husband get used to the taste of goat cheese. I had to learn it for myself to eat goat cheese.
I was 18 years old and just left home to study in another town, up North in the Netherlands. I can’t remember I ever saw goat cheese in our house, let alone I ate it anywhere else. I was a very picky eater, I didn’t even like onions! But little by little I started to enjoy the food I cooked and ate, even though it took a few years to be at the point where I am now.
I started with eating goat cheese in salads, now I make a scrumptious sandwich with it 😉
I love to eat dates filled with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon, they make a good barbecue treat! But why not turn that into a grilled cheese sandwich?
Yep, that’s what I thought:
Scrumptious. That's the only right name for this grilled goat cheese sandwich with bacon and dates. Grilled to perfection and served with a honey and thyme mayo.
- 4 strips bacon
- ½ red onion
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 8-10 dates, chopped
- 4 slices bread
- 1 cup spinach
- honey & thyme mayo (2 Tbsp mayo, 1 Tbsp honey and 1 tsp thyme) for serving
- Prepare a compact grill.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Set aside.
- In the bacon fat, cook the onion until soft, for about 3 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar and the sugar and let it boil down on low heat. Set aside.
- Mix the goat cheese with the chopped dates and spread out on both slices of the bread. Top one side with the spinach, the cooked bacon strips and the caramelized onions. Place the other side with just the goat cheese on top (so you have layers in this order -> bread, goat cheese, spinach, bacon, onion, goat cheese, bread)
- Toast the sandwiches on the compact grill (or just a grill pan and flip them when 1 side is toasted) until golden brown.
- Serve with honey & thyme mayonaise.
[…] goat cheese but since P doesn’t like it I hardly ever buy / eat it. I did post an amazing grilled goat cheese sandwich with bacon and dates which I love. Ugh this is hard, I really like grilled (cheese) sandwiches but I banned them from my […]