– Click here for this recipe in Dutch -> Kip tikka masala –
One of the best things of living in LA are the food trucks! My love for food trucks started almost two years, when we were in LA for vacation. P had to work that day and he took the car so I walked to the beach to sit there and read a book. On my way back I noticed I was a little bit hungry and right at that moment there it was: a food truck!
I stood in line and ordered a quesadilla. But then the lady in the truck asked me what kind of quesadilla I wanted. I panicked, looked at the menu but it was all in spanish so I ordered that one thing I knew what it was… Pollo!
I never ordered chicken at the Mexican restaurant, let alone prepped some Mexican food with chicken at home. No, I always chose beef, to me thát was Mexican food.
So there I was, in Venice with a chicken quesadilla… AND I LOVED IT!
So not only that was the moment I had my first Mexican chicken, it was also the moment I started loving food trucks.
And thank god for moving to LA and it’s food truck culture. Good food for a cheap price made by passionate people, all over town.
We often go to the Santa Monica Food Truck Lot where different food trucks come together on Tuesday night. Many times -surprisingly enough- I don’t feel like cooking on Tuesdays 😉
All these great food trucks in LA inspire me to cook new dishes so I came up with Food Truck Tuesday! Every first Tuesday of the month I will post a recipe inspired by the great food trucks of LA.
I’ll start with this great slow cooker chicken tikka masala. A few weeks ago I ordered the ‘Delhi-cious Chicken’ from the Wicked Kitchen food truck. And boy, it wás delicious! I loved the slow cooked and pulled chicken, so fun to eat Indian meat that way instead of bite-sized chunks. The thick and creamy coconut tomato sauce was also delicious. So here it is, my slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe:
Delhi-cious chicken, this slow cooker chicken tikka masala has the perfect balance of pulled chicken, spice and creaminess!
- 20 – 25 sprigs cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- curry paste as above (or 6-8 Tbsp store bought)
- 8 boneless and skinless thicken thighs
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Rice to serve
- sliced almonds
- First, make the curry paste by mixing all ingredients for the paste in a food processor or blender. Blend until combined.
- Marinate the chicken thighs in the currypaste and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of the slowcooker, mix the diced tomatoes with the coconut milk and the onion.
- Place the chicken on top of the sauce and cook until the chicken is tender, for 4 hours or high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken from the slowcooker (with the slocooker still on ‘warm’) and once cooled, shred them with two forks.
- Transfer the shredded chicken back to the sauce, add the lentils and shredded coconut and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 Tbsp of the curry sauce with 1 Tbsp corn starch. Mix until lump free and pour it back into the slow cooker.
- Mix well and let it stand for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve over rice with cilantro, yogurt, sliced almonds and lemon wedges.
Garam masala is a spice pix used in Indian cooking. You can make your own by mixing the following spices: • 2 tsp cumin • 1 tsp cinnamon • 1 tsp coriander • 1 tsp black pepper • ½ tsp ground cloves • ½ tsp nutmeg • ¼ tsp cayenne This will make 2 Tbsp garam masala, enough for this recipe
[…] was baozi with a small piece of lasagna on the side. That evening we ate the last leftovers of the slow cooker chicken tikka masala and the next morning my breakfast was a sugar-free banana […]
[…] Click here for this recipe in English -> Slow cooker chicken tikka masala […]