– Click here for this recipe in Dutch -> Citroen taartjes –
I really into eating desserts lately, that’s definitely a pregnancy thing because I never felt that urge before. When we go out for dinner I first take a look at the dessert menu before choosing what elso I’m going to order.
But what a disappointment is it every time that the dessert menu consists mainly of heavy cheesecake, big fat chocolate cake or sweet ice cream. Because I don’t want that, I want something light and fresh with lemon! Lemon Meringue Pie is my absolute favorite, but that is something that unfortunately is not heavily present on the American menu 🙁
This recipe for simple lemon bars was already so long on my to-bake list it finally once was time to get started. The result is a delicious butter cake-like crust with a top layer of soft and sour lemon curd. Yum! Exactly what I was craving for the past weeks! There’s just enough sugar in order not to dominate the sourness of the lemon, and with a little powdered sugar on top it’s just simply perfect.
Now I have a fridge full of lemon bars, so tell me: who wants a piece?
A refreshing lemon tart, this pregnant woman says it's the perfect dessert! 😉
- 1 stick soft butter
- ¼ cup packed powdered sugar
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all purpose flour (divided)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 1 large organic lemon
- juice of 2 large organic lemons (about ½ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a square baking dish (9 x 9 inch) with parchment paper.
- Grab a bowl and use a spatula to combine the soft butter with the powdered sugar. Add ¾ cup and 2 Tbsp flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Get a clean bowl and beat the eggs. Add the sugar, the remaining ¼ cup flour and the lemon zest and juice and whisk until combined.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and pour the lemon mixture on top of the warm dough. Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes until done.
- Take out of the oven, let it cool and slice it in 9 equal squares. Dust with some powdered sugar before serving!
You can keep the lemon bars covered in the fridge for a few days.