I love desserts but I try not to eat anything after dinner. Until I got pregnant… My Sweet Tooth took over again so after dinner I always had to take a small dessert. In the beginning I ate lots of those small mochi ice creams, a small scoop of ice cream in a mochi sheet. So delicious! And just enough to satisfy my sweet cravings!
But then I discovered frozen bananas. First I ate those whole bananas on a stick, but at Trader Joe’s I found frozen banana bites. Whoah! Much better, because let’s face it, small banana slices coated with chocolate = more chocolate! 😉
Two or three slices of frozen banana bites is enough to satisfy my cravings.
But why make your own if you can buy them ready to go in the supermarket? Well, ehm… home made is much more fun! But to be honest, it’s been out of stock at my Trader Joe’s for a while now! Oh no! But fortunately it’s very easy to make them at home, check it out:
Home made frozen banana bites - two slices are enough to satisfy my sweet tooth!
- 2 firm but ripe bananas
- 1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- grated coconut, Maldon sea salt flakes, chopped peanuts etc.
- Slice the bananas in 0.5 inch pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and make some space in the freezer for the baking sheet.
- Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add 1 cup of the chocolate chips. Melt the chocolate while stirring. When melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining ½ cup of chocolate. Stir to melt all the chocolate.
- Use a small fork or skewer to dip the banana slices in the chocolate. Place them on the baking sheet and top with coconut, sea salt etc. if wanted.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 2 hours, and keep the frozen banana bites in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Eat while still frozen.