– Click here for this recipe in Dutch -> Parel couscous met tomaten en courgette –
A kitchen sink meal doesn’t sound very appealing to me. But appearantly that’s an American thing, this kitchen sink meal. This meal often comes in the form of a salad or soup, and it’s made after cleaning out the fridge and cupboards. This way produce waste doesn’t need to go down the kitchen sink, through the waste shredder. Have I told you yet that I love that thing? It’s also typical American, you don’t see it in Europe. I had to get used to it but now I throw all the fruit and veggie scraps in there!
This kind of cleanup meals are not new to me. In fact, I do it all the time! And sometimes it results in a super succesful quiche, noodle dish or soup that will be repeated over and over again. Before I start planning our dinner I check the fridge for vegetables. Normally I buy some additional vegetables or meat and start cooking. This way I don’t have to through out food and vegetables!
Call me weird but I really like doing groceries, I love wandering around in big supermarkets. But even though I like it, I also sometimes don’t feel like it. Because it’s lunch time so it will be busy in the supermarket. Or I waited too long to go out (read: it’s after 4pm) and there’s already too much traffic. In that case there’s only one thing left to do: peek into the freezer, fridge and cabinets to get my stuff together and create a new recipe with it.
That’s how last week I put this Israeli couscous with tomatoes and zucchini on the table. And it was delicious! So why shouldn’t I share the recipe with you?
I took the ground beef out of the freezer, the tomatoes and zucchini were in the vegetable drawer of the fridge and I found just enough couscous in the cabinets. Nice and easy, I will go out for groceries again tomorrow! 😉
Quick and easy kitchen sink meal, aren't those the best?
- 12 oz ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 zucchini’s, cut in halved slices
- 2 heaped cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups Israeli couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- parmesan cheese to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a wok over medium heat and use butter, ghee or oil to cook the ground beef until done.
- Use a garlic press to crush the garlic and add it to the beef. Stir and add the zucchini.
- Stir and cook until the zucchini browns and add the tomatoes.
- Cook for two minutes and add the couscous. Stir to cover the couscous in oil and add the chicken broth.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the couscous is done. Stir every now and then.
- Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.