– Click here for this recipe in Dutch -> Zomer hamburger met aardbeien –
The sentence that goes through my head right now is: ‘if a burger with strawberries is wrong, then I don’t want to be right. ”
A terrible cliche but so tremendously true.
Because my oh my… this burger with strawberries is só tasty, even though it sounds like a crazy combination. On a summery Sunday night, about two weeks ago I had a similar burger at our favorite burger place Pono Burger, and I knew immediately that I wanted to make it at home.
That burger was lying on a soft brioche bun, yum! That was also the last bread I ate that week, because the next day I started a trial version of the “paleo” diet.
This week I’m also eating paleo, so I skipped the soft bun to serve this burger on 😉 I actually didn’t miss the bun, this way we tasted the burger even better! I served an arugula salad with carrot and nuts on the side. And homemade paleo mayonnaise! Wow, who knew mayonnaise could be so easy using an immersion blender?! I read about that yesterday in cookbook from Nom Nom Paleo and today I went straight to work.
Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans was on my wish list for a while now, but since I actually started this trial paleo diet, it was time to purchase the book. The book came in yesterday and I can already tell you that I have absolutely no regrets. It is a pleasant book with good explanations about the paleo template and tremendously delicious basic recipes. Yummie! This way I can keep on going with this paleo trial for a while!
This summer burger with strawberries also helps! And while I was on it, I grilled this burger on the barbecue. We have a gas grill on our balcony and we love it. No hassle with charcoal and lighting it, but yet ending up with that grilled taste.
I bought the beef from the local butcher shop, who sold amazingly good ground chuck, and that’s perfect for making juicy burgers. Along with the salty bacon and sweet strawberries this was a real treat.
Can I have another burger with strawberries? 😉
It sounds like a weird combination but it's so surprisingly good! This burger with salty bacon and sweet strawberries has to be on your plate this summer!
- 6 strawberries
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp ghee (divided)
- ½ onion, in thin rings
- 1 lbs ground chuck
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the strawberries and cut them in halves. Place them in a small saucepan with the balsamic vinegar and cook until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the bacon strips in half and cook them in a clean pan (without using any fat) over medium-high heat until medium crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towels for dripping.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon ghee to the bacon fat, let it melt over medium heat and cook the onions until soft, for about 5 minutes. Don’t let them burn, you really want soft onions.
- Divide the beef in 2 equal portions and form each portion into a ¾ inch thick burger. Use your thumb to make a deep depression in the center of the burger. Season the burger on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the (gas) grill to high or your griddle pan on high heat.
- Brush the burgers with 1 tablespoon ghee and grill them until golden brown on one side, for about 3 minutes.
- Flip them over using a spatula and grill for another 4 minutes for medium rare.
- Transfer to a plate and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Top the burgers with the crispy bacon, the onions and the strawberries.
By making a dent in the patties with your thumb you keep them -oddly enough- in shape if you grill them. If you wouldn’t do this then the burger puffs up in the center and you would press it down with your spatula to keep the burger in shape. By pressing down you all the juices would escape leaving your burger dry out. So by making a dent the burger stays in shape with all the juices in it. That sounds like a win-win to me!